Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Fly: A Twisted Tale of Technology and Teleportation

The day I watched The Fly was the day I genuinely lost my appetite for the first time.

Even if the movie horrified me so much that I wished I fell asleep in class instead, it was actually pretty interesting. The story was so intriguing that I just had to know what would happen next. The effects were actually good for a film made in the 1950s. There were some parts that were really predictable, but everyone was still shocked by those scenes because of the special effects. This film, though quite disturbing, had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

With the concept of teleportation presented in the movie, I couldn’t help but think of what would happen if teleportation machines really existed. People might be using them responsibly at first, but things will go out of hand sooner or later. Issues on morality would no doubt arise. Is it acceptable to create something that gives people godlike powers? The movie shows that scientists just go and invent things without taking moral implications into consideration. This may or may not be true, but the question of morality all depends on a person’s set of beliefs.

As the film progressed, I kept wondering if science really was condemned back in the day. It was as if the movie was there to show everyone the horrors of getting into science. Based on the movie, people weren’t that excited about scientific breakthroughs because they were afraid something might go wrong. Yes, science can go out of control, but only when you misuse it. Only with the right knowledge and actions can science be used to create innovations that will help mankind.

The day I watched The Fly was the day I learned a little more about science and society.

Hannah Dungca
2013-14765

No comments:

Post a Comment